How to Apply for and Renew a Short-Term Rental License
1. Applying for a Short-Term Rental License
All property owners who wish to operate a Short-Term Rental in East Bay Township must first obtain a STR License. This step-by-step guide will help you quickly submit an application online. All licenses and renewals are $400.
- Step 1: Review these checklists and the Short-Term Rental Ordinance. These forms will clarify all the rules and requirements for Short-Term Rentals, and explain which documents the Township needs to approve a license application.
- Step 2: Fill out all applicable documents mentioned in the Short-term Rental Checklist. Click the links below to access these documents (Tip: applications completed digitally or scanned are able to be processed quicker).
- Designation of Authority to Request an Application of a STR License (this form is only necessary if the property owner is having another person or management company apply for the license.)
- STR Notification to Renter Upon Booking
- Good Neighbor Brochure
- Grand Traverse County Well & Septic Form
- Septic Resource Materials: EPA Kitchen Brochure, EPA Bathroom Brochure, EPA Septic Flyer
- MIDNR Help Prevent Invasive Species Brochure (see MIDNR website for additional information)
- Step 3: Submit your application through this link. If you have trouble with the website, try contacting the Planning & Zoning Office.
- Step 1: Review all your original application materials and locate your current Short-Term Rental License number. You will need your current license number to move on with the renewal process. If you are unable to locate your license number, contact the Planning and Zoning Department.
- Step 2: Update any documents with new or changed information. This may include changes to the structure of your home or an updated septic report (remember, the license requirements need you to check your septic every 3 years).
- Step 3: Attach the requested documentation in the Short-term Rental Application Portal, being sure to include any updated documents. The requested documents are the same as the initial license application. Click here to access the portal.